Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Direct reports: None
Employment Type: Fixed Term Contract ending December 2021
The successful candidate will be passionate about all things education, enjoy working with people – students, lecturers and staff, and take pride in what they do for a registered Private Higher Education Institution
Send your application and cover letter to email@example.com
Duties and responsibilities
- Full operational management of Accounts Receivable function within the Finance Department.
- Raising of all invoices, receipting of all payments. All processing to be of exceptionally high standard: timely, accurate and complete, and in compliance with IFRS standards, R&Y Finance policies and processes and VAT requirements
- Communicating with customers and students relating to invoices and payments by email and telephone. Accurate statements to be sent to all clients at students at the beginning of each month.
- Manage debit order systems and processes.
- Tight, proactive management of debtors book:
- Driving constant improvement in aging debtors ratios to ensure swift remittance of cash
- Active pursuit of all debtors older than 90 days
- Escalation of all debtors older than 120 days to COO
- Weekly reporting to Financial Manager on status of book, problematic debtors and improvements in aging ratios
- Manage debt recovery with clients/students, sales teams and external attorneys/collection agencies
- Provide valuable financial insights and recommendations to Financial Manager for monthly Exco and quarterly Board meetings based on inter alia debtors book, AR challenges/opportunities and invoicing/customer/student trends and
- Support Financial Manager to ensure quick, efficient and clean annual audits
- Audit of all group companies to be finalised by 31 March.
- Compliance with – and support of COO in maintaining and developing - high quality financial control environment
- Compliance with Finance Handbook, as well as proposing of additions or amendments to improve it
- Supporting Financial Manager in identifying and remedying weaknesses and risks in current AR controls
- Management of minimisation of AR risk
- Financial partnership and support to senior management:
- Support the FM and the FD in maintain and building a world class Finance Department that grows with the business and provides it with excellent service
- Provide the business with relevant financial information and support
- Assist business unit and departmental heads with AR-related queries
- Preparation of monthly sales commission schedules for sales teams, and delivery of these to the Financial Manager by 5th of the following month
- Add overall value through system improvements, automation and cost reduction initiatives that assist the business’s financial objectives. Constantly strive to find ways of working smarter, not harder.
- Maintain a neat, ordered and professional financial filing and document management system that aligns with overall Finance Department filing systems.
- Constantly develop yourself personally in the following general areas:
- Understanding of the broader business
- Mastering of the AR discipline, and of new finance and technological innovations and practices that could help you, your department and the business
- Becoming a true Finance all-rounder. Developing an understanding of the full Financial function.
- Management – both within your own team, and within other forums or projects within the business. There are no shortages of opportunities here.
Degree in Accounting, or at least working towards a professional qualification (e.g. CA/ACCA/CIMA)
4+ years’ experience in full accounting role, or in dedicated Accounts Receivable role Experience of Google Suite, particularly Gmail, Sheets and Drive
Familiar with Zoom and scheduling capabilities
Excellent communication and writing skills
Passion for lifelong learning
Proficiency in MS Word and MS Excel (Advanced knowledge of Excel)
Experience with accounting software Xero and ERP systems
Prior use of SARS efiling and proficiency with VAT (broader tax experience advantageous)
Bi-lingual (English essential)
Fully up to date with all relevant IFRS, GAAP and tax and accounting standards
Keen attention to detail, fastidious record keeping and adherence to deadlines are critical.
Excellent communicator, who is not shy of conflict and comfortable dealing with difficult or distressed clients and students
Data entry skills and a knack for numbers.
Must be able to manage their own time and perform well in a relatively unstructured, unsupervised role.
Grit and resilience in this role are essential – working in a finance team in a dynamic, growing business can be tough going at times, and requires effort and commitment.
Ability to work under pressure
Ability and curiosity to learn and explore new technologies
Discipline to operate remotely while working collaboratively with your team online
Passionate about education