Role: Financial Manager
Employment type: Perm
Probation: 3 months
Job level: Senior
Location: Red & Yellow Campus, Cape Town
This is a really exciting opportunity to step into a senior level finance role within one of South Africa’s pre-eminent marketing and advertising schools and really make it your own.
The Red & Yellow Brand is well-loved and well-known within the South African marketing and advertising community, and following its recent acquisition by Honoris United Universities (the first and largest pan-African university network), it is now set to radically ramp up its presence and activity within South Africa, and expand through the Honoris network across the continent.
You will be responsible for the full strategic and operational execution of the financial function of the Red and Yellow Group (including inter alia all financial reporting, forecasting and budgeting; financial control environment; internal and external audit; tax and treasury), ensuring the department performs and delivers in all respects at world class standards
Key Responsibilities and Duties of the Role
- Preparation and delivery of high quality, accurate and timely financial reporting, management reporting and budgeting:
- Monthly management reporting deadlines (income statement, balance sheet, cashflow forecast) including monthly business unit reporting
- Quarterly re-forecasting
- Annual budgeting
- Overall management of the insurance, tax (compliance and planning) , BBBEE, statutory and treasury portfolios
- Ensure accuracy of monthly and annual revenue forecasts
- Work closely with sales and operations teams to ensure high degree of forecast accuracy and reliability
- Provide day to day operational information around the current health of the business, provide insights to department heads and internal stakeholders.
- Timely and accurate filing of all statutory and tax reports and submissions
- Drive financial and operational efficiencies – and deliver real business value – through detailed analysis (and insights and recommendations) at a product, client, departmental and/or business unit level
- Preparation of monthly Exco presentations based on business performance, forecast and future challenges/prospects
- Manage quick, efficient and clean annual audits
- Maintenance and development of high quality financial control environment
- Maintenance of up-to-date Finance Handbook, including clear documentation of all controls and duties, embodying clear segregation of duties
- Addressing issues raised in auditors’ annual Reports To Management
- Identifying and remedying weaknesses and risks in current controls
- Management of minimisation of financial risk
- Management, leadership and mentorship of direct and indirect financial reports
- Setting of RPAs and performance targets for reports; reviewing performance of reports at least bi-annually
- Demonstrate company-wide financial leadership by developing a culture of financial professionalism, integrity and ethical conduct both within the Finance department and in dealings with all staff
- Communication with all staff on financial matters
- Financial partnership and support to senior management:
- Support Exco in developing and implementing group strategy
- Provide management with relevant financial information and support
- Assist business unit and departmental heads in development of business cases, budgets, development of quotes, pricing and other financial tasks
- Manage and maintain banking, legal and professional relationships with suppliers
- Manage and develop Procurement function
- Management of the company B-BBEE processes, working together with FD and HR department
- Add overall value through system improvements, automation and cost reduction initiatives that assist the business’s financial objectives
- Manage a neat, ordered and professional financial filing and document management system.
- Add overall value (and drive cost reduction) through use of technology, systems and process improvements and cost reduction initiatives
- Communication with all stakeholders on financial matters
Behavioural Attributes and Competencies
At Red & Yellow, we actively prioritise the right attitude combined with the right behavioural attributes in combination to prior experience
Serious smarts are non-negotiable. Our clients expect excellence from us, and our students are professional, intelligent and driven so we value both intellectual and emotional intelligence in our people.
- A growth mindset and a “can-do” attitude. People with a growth mindset “tend to thrive on challenges and embrace failure as a mechanism for learning and development”. They constantly question the world and their place within it, and look for opportunities to improve themselves and their environments around them
- Constant curiosity and hunger for learning
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Not only is communication one of the most important elements of this role, but you are also an ambassador of Red & Yellow
- Professionalism, patience and kindness. Dealing with people day in and day out can be taxing, and it takes a particular kind of person to keep calm, cheerful and effective
- Ability to work in a team, and to work under pressure
- A passion for education. This is critical.
Skills and Qualifications
- Appropriate tertiary qualification (BComm, BBusSci, BRec, BAcc) essential
- Accounting qualification (CA/ACCA/CIMA) preferred
- 5+ years’ experience in a similar role at a similar level essential
- Industry experience preferred
- Fully tax literate
- Fully up to date with all IFRS, GAAP and tax and accounting standards
- Advanced Excel experience
- Prior experience with accounting software (AccPac; Sage; VIP) and ERP systems and automation of financial systems and processes (working with and implementation of) advantageous
Why work at Red & Yellow?
Life at Red & Yellow is fast-paced, technicoloured and full of fun and energy. We’re a School with serious ambition and a Global vision – we want to be The Most Creative Business School in the World, and we are working hard to achieve this. As a result, we’re growing very fast, innovating and experimenting constantly, and always looking for ways to improve ourselves and our courses for the benefit of our students.
For you, this translates as follows:
- Our working environment is casual and fun, and full of quirky personalities, oddballs, nerds and geeks. But they all have one thing in common: a passion for changing the world through education, and a tremendous sense of community and purpose in working as part of a team of incredible talent that is punching well above its weight.
- Fast-pace, growth and innovation mean that there is no shortage of upward and horizontal growth opportunities for people who perform and ask for opportunities to develop themselves and try new things. Our people get a lot of responsibility and trust, and develop quickly.
- You will get to work alongside our executives and senior managers from Day 1, and so have enormous opportunity to learn from them directly.
We’re all about constant curiosity – all of our online courses are free for our staff, and their friends and family get discounys.