Head of Full-Time Education
Role: Head of Full-Time Education
Employment type: Perm
Probation: 3 months
Job level: Mid - Senior
Location: Red & Yellow Campus, Salt River, Cape Town
Head of full-time education
You will be responsible for providing leadership and development in the full-time, on-campus education department, in line with the vision and mission of Red and Yellow.
Roles and responsibilities
- Setting and advancing the academic strategy of the Full-time Department in line with the School’s strategic plans and direction.
- The strategic, academic and operational management of the Department
- Promoting a culture of excellence in teaching and learning in all of the full-time offerings
- Leading the research by faculty and students in the Department
- Leading, and conducting the performance management of the full-time faculty
- Playing an active role as academic leader at a national and international levels;
- Representing the Department to the Head of Academics and on Academic Exco
- Human resources (incl aiding in recruitment and workload management)
- Assist with reviewing and developing new programmes in order to attract new students and markets.
- Engage with the student representative council and ensure that the full-time students are included as appropriate in the various decision-making processes within the Department.
- Create and exploit new opportunities for knowledge transfer activities to secure new areas of
- A personal teaching and/or research practice
- Development and sustainment of appropriate structures for management, consultation,
decision-making and communication with staff and students.
- Ensuring all staff have access to the necessary support to enable them to contribute fully and develop their skills and experience.
- Managing governance structures in the full-time department
- Taking responsibility for devolved budgets and comply with School financial regulations.
- Put in place the necessary quality assurance, evaluation and monitoring procedures to ensure compliance.
- Maintain compliance with auditing, quality assurance and risk management procedures, as
stipulated by the respective Governing authorities, e.g., CHE, DHET, SAQA.
- Ensure the revision of the teaching & learning, module and programme guides.
- Ensure the planning of academic activities in the academic year with the registrar
Qualifications, Requirements and Skills
- A Master’s Degree that relates to the relevant programmes in the Department. (A PhD or PhD in progress would be preferable, an academic commerce background would be preferable)
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience in a senior role in the higher education environment.
- Teaching experience
- Industry experience in a managerial or strategic role would be advantageous
- Strong leadership and decision-making skills.
- Strong management skills.
- Very strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong attention to detail and time management.
- Excellent planning skills
- Excellent computer skills.
Behavioural Attributes and Competencies
At Red & Yellow, we actively prioritise the right attitude combined with the right behavioural attributes in combination to prior experience serious smarts are non-negotiable. Our clients expect excellence from us, and our students are professional, intelligent and driven so we value both intellectual and emotional intelligence in our people.
A growth mindset and a “can-do” attitude. People with a growth mindset “tend to thrive on challenges and embrace failure as a mechanism for learning and development”. They constantly question the world and their place within it, and look for opportunities to improve themselves and their environments around them.
Constant curiosity and hunger for learning.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Not only is communication one of the most important elements of this role, but you are also an ambassador of Red & Yellow professionalism, patience and kindness. Dealing with people day in and day out can be taxing, and it takes a particular kind of person to keep calm, cheerful and effective.
Ability to work in a team, and to work under pressure and A passion for education. This is critical!
Why work at Red & Yellow?
Life at Red & Yellow is fast-paced, technicoloured and full of fun and energy. We’re a School with serious ambition and a Global vision – we want to be The Most Creative Business School in the World, and we are working hard to achieve this. As a result, we’re growing very fast, innovating and experimenting constantly, and always looking for ways to improve ourselves and our courses for the benefit of our students. For you, this translates as follows:
- Our working environment is casual and fun, and full of quirky personalities, oddballs, nerds and geeks. But they all have one thing in common: a passion for changing the world through education, and a tremendous sense of community and purpose in working as part of a team of incredible talent that is punching well above its weight.
- Fast-pace, growth and innovation mean that there is no shortage of upward and horizontal growth opportunities for people who perform and ask for opportunities to develop themselves and try new things. Our people get a lot of responsibility and trust, and develop quickly.
- You will get to work alongside our executives and senior managers from Day 1, and so have enormous opportunity to learn from them directly.
- We’re all about constant curiosity – all of our online courses are free for our full time staff, and their friends and family get discounts.
Preference will be given, but not limited to, candidates from designated groups in terms of the Employment Equity Act.
Send your application and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org