Head of Marketing
Role: Head of Marketing
Employment type: Permanent/FTC
Probation: 3 months
Job level: Senior /Exco
Remuneration: Ed Tech Market-related
Location: Red & Yellow Campus, Cape Town
This is a really exciting opportunity to step into a Senior level marketing role at Exco level within one of South Africa’s pre-eminent marketing and advertising schools and really make it your own.
The Red & Yellow Brand is well-loved and well-known within the South African marketing and advertising community and following its recent acquisition by Honoris United Universities (the first and largest pan-African university network), it is now set to radically ramp up its presence and activity within South Africa and expand through the Honoris network across the continent.
You will be responsible for the overall Marketing team as well as marketing and communication efforts and brand image across Red & Yellow (including its Full Time, Online and Corporate offerings), with priority focuses on the growing demands and leads for our on-campus programmes as well as radically ramping up lead generation and enrolments for our online short courses and qualifications, and taking the Red & Yellow brand from a strong but relatively niche brand into a digitally-driven powerhouse of creative business education across Africa.
While Red & Yellow’s legacy and brand is strongly rooted in its Cape Town campus, market and product growth will increasingly – and primarily – be driven through online channels as the company, through its programmes, products, structures and culture, adopts a “digital-first” philosophy.
Key Responsibilities and Duties of the Role
- Translate business strategy into integrated, clear marketing, comms and brand strategies in line with the business objectives
- Manage and enhance relationships with internal (global and local) stakeholders
- Jointly responsible for actively developing the business culture and upholding the company’s values
- Lead and oversee the conceptualisation, development, and implementation, of the annual marketing plan to ensure effective, efficient and focused through the line campaigns to grow market share and reach sales targets
- Collaborate with the Chief Commercial Officer, Performance Analyst, Sales and Academic Teams to develop strategies to maximize leads and market share while balancing customer satisfaction. Full funnel leads management is required.
- Champion the voice of the customer internally, and development an intimate understanding of our various student and consumer personae, as well as their specific needs and wants to support our Product Development team in building programmes and courses that our students love, with the requisite positioning, packaging, pricing and promotions to support rapid growth in enrolments.
- Build a digital marketing engine – comprising internal and external resources, systems and software – to deliver on ambitious growth targets.
- Lead the strategic and tactical execution of marketing and PR campaigns, including brief, design and post campaign analysis and reporting ensuring recommendations and learning outcomes are tracked
- Maintain regular performance analysis with third party business partners to review the enrolment pipeline, resolve challenges, and present possible solutions, and provide ongoing coaching and leadership to ensure team consistently performs to a high standard
- Continued development of the marketing campaigns and promotions and actively looking for opportunities in the market to build an audience and gain market share
- Build brand awareness, define and drive Red &Yellow Creative School of Business’s unique market positioning
- Overseeing social media marketing strategy and content marketing
- Prepare, manage and ratify annual budgets for the marketing department
- Ensure our brand message is strong and consistent across all or R&Y’s B2B and B2C touchpoints
- Oversee regular market and customer research with strategic insight and planning derived from results
- Identify opportunities to reach new market segments and expand market share
- Set, monitor and report on team development and performance to ensure professional development and succession planning
Behavioural Attributes and Competencies
At Red & Yellow, we actively prioritise the right attitude combined with the right behavioural attributes in combination to prior experience.
Serious smarts are non-negotiable. Our clients expect excellence from us, and our students are professional, intelligent and driven so we value both intellectual and emotional intelligence in our people.
- A growth mindset and a “can-do” attitude. People with a growth mindset “tend to thrive on challenges and embrace failure as a mechanism for learning and development”. They constantly question the world and their place within it, and look for opportunities to improve themselves and their environments around them
- Constant curiosity and hunger for learning
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Not only is communication one of the most important elements of this role, but you are also an ambassador of Red & Yellow
- Professionalism, patience and kindness. Dealing with people day in and day out can be taxing, and it takes a particular kind of person to keep calm, cheerful and effective
- Ability to work in a team, and to work under pressure
- A passion for education. This is critical.
Skills and Qualifications
- Relevant degree in marketing or similar with a professional qualification
- Must have at least 5 years’ experience in a Group Marketing Director role/Executive position of marketing strategy and campaign management
- Strong digital marketing and data-driven orientation essential.
- Experience in both a start-up (client) as well as agency experience is advantageous
- Evidence of internal and external stakeholder engagement
- Highly inclusive and professional stakeholder management skills
- Proven ability to plan and manage budgets
- Excellent team player, communication, and decision-making skills
- Experience with digital marketing, content marketing, and social media marketing
- High competency in project management and change management is advantageous
- Edtech experience advantageous
- Commercial and analytical rigur is critical
- Experience in managing an in house studio will be advantageous
Why work at Red & Yellow?
Life at Red & Yellow is fast-paced, technicoloured and full energy. We’re a School with serious ambition and a Global vision – we want to be The Most Creative Business School in the World, and we are working hard to achieve this. As a result, we are growing very fast, innovating and experimenting constantly, and always looking for ways to improve ourselves and our courses for the benefit of our students.
For you, this translates as follows:
- Our working environment is diverse, casual and fun, and full of quirky personalities, oddballs, nerds and geeks. But they all have one thing in common: a passion for changing the world through education, and a tremendous sense of community and purpose in working as part of a team of incredible talent that is punching well above its weight
- Fast-pace, growth and innovation mean that there is no shortage of upward and horizontal growth opportunities for people who perform and ask for opportunities to develop themselves and try new things. Our people get a lot of responsibility and trust and develop quickly
- Our people get to work alongside our executives and senior managers from Day 1, and so have enormous opportunity to learn from them directly
We are all about constant curiosity – all of our online courses are free for our staff, and their friends and family get discounts.
If you feel you’ve got what it takes to join Red & Yellow, we want to hear from you! Please forward your CV, proof of academic qualifications and a motivation letter aligning yourself to the requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org