Part-Time Lecturer Economics
Role: Part-time Lecturer – Economics
Employment type: IDC (Independent Contractor)
Job level: Junior to Mid
Beginning of contract: 27 September 2021 - 3 Times a week
Remuneration: Market Related
Location: Red & Yellow Campus, Cape Town
We are looking for an experienced and passionate economics lecturer to join our academic team to teach and mentor the next generation of Red & Yellow game changers at our Cape Town campus. As a lecturer in your field of expertise, you will take full responsibility for the academic performance and functioning of your programme. You will be required to work closely with the Manager of On Campus Education and the lecturing team to maintain, develop and grow R&Y’s respected programme offering. Red & Yellow offers flexible schedules to part-time lecturers and a competitive salary.
The Red & Yellow Brand is well-loved and well-known within the South African marketing and advertising community and following its recent acquisition by Honoris United Universities (the first and largest pan-African university network), it is now set to radically ramp up its presence and activity within South Africa and expand through the Honoris network across the continent.
Behavioural Attributes and Competencies
At Red & Yellow, we actively prioritise the right attitude combined with the right behavioural attributes in combination to prior experience.
Serious smarts are non-negotiable. Our clients expect excellence from us, and our students are professional, intelligent and driven so we value both intellectual and emotional intelligence in our people.
- A growth mindset and a “can-do” attitude. People with a growth mindset “tend to thrive on challenges and embrace failure as a mechanism for learning and development”. They constantly question the world and their place within it, and look for opportunities to improve themselves and their environments around them
- Constant curiosity and hunger for learning
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Not only is communication one of the most important elements of this role, but you are also an ambassador of Red & Yellow
- Professionalism, patience and kindness. Dealing with people day in and day out can be taxing, and it takes a particular kind of person to keep calm, cheerful and effective
- Ability to work in a team, and to work under pressure
- A passion for education. This is critical.
Responsibilities and duties
- Develop lecture content and assessments against the curriculum for the first year semester-long Macroeconomics module aligned to Red & Yellow’s teaching style, including, but not limited to, lesson planning, tutorial content and planning, tests, assessments and exams
- Lecture and conduct tutorials as part of the BCom in Marketing programme
- Participate in the monitoring & evaluation of the academic programme, including attendance and maintenance of student records
- Liaise with academic colleagues/relevant industry contacts to ensure ongoing development and relevance
- Conduct, marking and moderation processes, participating in internal and external moderation processes where necessary
- Participate in examination and certification processes and promotion of students
- Attend regular staff meetings and relevant faculty events
- Ensure both hard and electronic filing of all required documentation, including tracking and reporting on at-risk students
- Participate in student grievance & disciplinary sessions, where relevant
- Lecture in accordance with the requirements of the programme outcomes and in accordance with the accredited programme outlines
- Benchmarking of programme offerings against other relevant higher education institutions
- Adhere to centralised policies and procedures that ensure outstanding quality and unquestionable integrity of all academic programmes that are offered
Skills and Qualifications
- Relevant honours degree (minimum requirement), but preference will be given to candidates with a master’s degree (or near completion of a master’s degree in a relevant field), with academic experience in Professional Communication
- Minimum 2-4 years teaching experience in a tertiary environment
- Relevant experience in the subject area
- A network of industry or academic professionals to offer students practical and real-world exposure
- Evidence of creative and practical pedagogical practices previously used
- Strong communication skills and the ability to lead, command, inspire and contribute to Red & Yellow’s vision
- Self-driven and motivated with excellent administrative and time management skills
- Competent in Microsoft Office and Google Docs, Spreadsheets and Presentation tools
- Proven competency in driving collaborative academic-industry initiatives
- Ability to work as part of a team in a dynamic environment
Why work at Red & Yellow?
Life at Red & Yellow is fast-paced, technicoloured and full energy. We’re a School with serious ambition and a Global vision – we want to be The Most Creative Business School in the World, and we are working hard to achieve this. As a result, we are growing very fast, innovating and experimenting constantly, and always looking for ways to improve ourselves and our courses for the benefit of our students.
For you, this translates as follows:
- Our working environment is diverse, casual and fun, and full of quirky personalities, oddballs, nerds and geeks. But they all have one thing in common: a passion for changing the world through education, and a tremendous sense of community and purpose in working as part of a team of incredible talent that is punching well above its weight
- Fast-pace, growth and innovation mean that there is no shortage of upward and horizontal growth opportunities for people who perform and ask for opportunities to develop themselves and try new things. Our people get a lot of responsibility and trust and develop quickly
- Our people get to work alongside our executives and senior managers from Day 1, and so have enormous opportunity to learn from them directly
- We are all about constant curiosity – all of our online courses are free for our staff, and their friends and family get discounts.
If you feel you’ve got what it takes to join Red & Yellow, we want to hear from you! Please forward your CV, proof of academic qualifications and a motivation letter aligning yourself to the requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible..
Preference will be given, but not limited to, candidates from designated groups in terms of the employment equity act.