In just 10 weeks, this unique and creative course will equip non-financial people with the understanding of what’s important when reviewing the financials, and the ability to assess and interpret its impact on the business. It covers all the critical theory and principles, coupled with assignments that help embed the knowledge, and learn how to apply and implement in real life. At the end of the course, you’ll be able to add additional value, have informed discussions and make more strategic decisions that contribute to a sustainable and profitable business outcome.
Understanding finance in a business applies to all ambitious humans. at some stage or another. It’s even more critical if you have your own business, as you probably don’t have the luxury of a Financial Director or finance team, or if you are secretly gunning for a more senior position, or have just received that promotion.
Learn from leading industry experts and meet your lecturer
Professor David Flynn – Professor David Flynn was the perfect choice to co-create content that talks to Red & Yellow’s conviction that ‘learning’ needs to keep pace with ‘life’ and be highly relevant to current industry needs, as well as being prepared for the future.
He not only comes with an impressive academic track record – Professor and Head of Department of Accounting at UCT, and Visiting Professor at Rhodes Investec Business School – he’s also been involved in the industry, as Head of Research at Old Mutual and Director and COO at Velocity Asset Management. He’s published and presented many academic papers – the one that caught our eye was “A model for techno-academic balance”, which he wrote in 1988 for the SA Journal of Higher Education.
THE RIGHT MIX to produce well-rounded professionals
The ideal combination of Management Studies, Marketing, Human Studies and Creative Production is integrated into all our courses, with a strong focus on developing essential human skills. This produces individuals with the commercial logic, understanding of human behaviour and creative magic to make a meaningful difference and grow successful organisations.
This course is perfect for:
Anyone who needs a more thorough understanding of the commercial aspects of business, and what drives decisions that lead to profitable and sustainable outcomes.
- Entrepreneurs and owners of start-ups and SMEs: who have great ideas and promising futures; but not the financial skills, teams or know-how to grow their business and make it scaleable
- Individuals (without a financial background) whose career has reached a point that demands they go beyond being ‘brilliant at what they currently do’ to ‘becoming a valued asset that thrives at a bigger-business level’
- Individuals (with a financial background): looking for a refresher to ensure they’re still relevant and on-track in today’s rapidly changing digital landscape
- Anyone: with a minimal understanding of how things like balance sheets and income statements work, seeking a deeper knowledge to enable them to interpret and analyse the financials and make strategic decisions that positively impact the company.
8 comprehensive modules that covers all the critical theory and principles, coupled with assignments that help embed the knowledge, and learn how to apply and implement in real life. At the end of the course, you’ll be able to add additional value, have informed discussions and make more strategic decisions that contribute to a sustainable and profitable business outcome.
- Module 1: Building blocks for understanding financials
- Module 2: Reporting financial position
- Module 3: Reporting financial performance
- Module 4: Recording financial transactions
- Module 5: Analysing financial reports
- Module 6: Legal aspects in finance: Tax and Human Resource issues
- Module 7: Budgeting and forecasting for decision making
- Module 8: Uniquely Human Skills that apply to finance
This 10-week course teaches you:
- How Return On Investment (ROI) informs financial investment decisions
- To create a Balance Sheet, which details the reflection of what the business currently owns
- To set up Income Statements, which interpret financial performance over time
- To use full double entry accounting in a general ledger
- How to derive insights and use them to write a management report
- The basics of tax, and how this applies to human resources within a business environment
- The principles of the budget process within a company and the practices for finalising a range of essential budgets
- Some of the most important cognitive biases that you’ll want to keep in mind when making financial decisions
To qualify you need to meet the following requirements:
The right attitude, a keen desire to succeed, and great communication skills (literacy, numeracy, comprehension).