In 10 weeks you’ll master the basics of graphic design by learning about the elements and principles of design, colour theory and typography. Then gain the practical skills by using Adobe Illustrator to design a logo and corporate identity, create layouts (poster and ads) and apply your digital design skills to create social media images. Better yet, it’s been designed by our on-campus lecturers, so you get to benefit from their years of experience, expertise and proven ability to develop award-winning talent.
Course creators: Our incredible full-time lecturers
This course was created by, and benefits from, our full-time lecturers’ years of experience in the field – both in lecturing and in industry. They know how to nurture talent and bring out the best in students, resulting in many award-wins over the years. Here are some of the lecturers you’ll “meet” online:
Carmen Schaefer: Carmen is a meticulous detailer with a holistic design aesthetic and a strong focus on typography
Dean Henning: digital to the core, and with a string of academic qualifications, Dean contributes his unique human-centered design perspective to this course
Nini van der Walt: her years of practical experience brings a deep understanding of the strong interaction between insights and design
Connor Cullinan: Connor specialises in colourways – knowing exactly which colour combinations will make things pop, and when to dial up the hue, or tone it down
THE RIGHT MIX to produce well-rounded professionals
The ideal combination of Management Studies, Marketing, Human Studies and Creative Production is integrated into all our courses, with a strong focus on developing essential human skills. This produces individuals with the commercial logic, understanding of human behaviour and creative magic to make a meaningful difference and grow successful organisations.
This course is perfect for:
- Traditional print-based graphic designers who want to up their digital game
- Marketers, writers or DTP operators - tired of being presented with lacklustre design, or wanting to improve their briefing/art direction skills for a better outcome
- Small business owners and start-ups who have a conceptual or creative mindset, can’t afford the ongoing services of a designer and know they could do it themselves if they had the technical skills and knowledge
- Influencers, bloggers and social media content producers who want to create astounding graphics that stand out from tired, old boring stock imagery
The course is made up of 7 practical modules:
- The first week is dedicated to familiarising yourself with the online learning platform (virtual classroom), meeting the humans that’ll support you and tackling the history of graphic design and stylistic movements, as well as the major influential designers.
- Then in weeks 2 - 10 you’ll delve into understanding the basics of graphic design from process and ideation, colour theory, typography and layout. You’ll implement what you've learnt across various applications in print and digital, covering designing a logo, corporate identity and designing for social media.
At the end of this course, you'll:
- Master the basics of graphic design principles and applications
- Learn about the elements and principles of design, colour theory, typography and how to pick the perfect font.
- Be able to put this knowledge into practice using Adobe Illustrator by designing a logo, corporate identity, poster design and other layouts.
- Be able to apply what you’ve learnt to digital design for social media
- Gain the contextual understanding of the history of graphic design, stylistic movements and the famous designers that made an impact.
To qualify you need to meet the following requirements:
You need a passion for creativity and an eye for detail.
A computer would be useful so that you can read the eBook and take full advantage of your 10-week licence to Adobe Illustrator (included in the price).
And lastly, a visual diary for scamping, a scanner (or app on your smartphone), and a fineliner and some colour pencils for sketching and drawing.